Yakitori Negima is a classic Japanese dish made with skewered and grilled chicken and pieces of negima, which typically consists of alternating chicken and green onion sections. The term “negima” comes from “ne,” meaning root, and “negi,” meaning onion. Here’s how you can make Yakitori Negima at home:
- Chicken thigh meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Green onions (negi), cut into similar-sized pieces
- Yakitori sauce or tare sauce (a mixture of soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar)
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for about 30 minutes
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven spice blend) for seasoning
- Prepare the Chicken and Green Onions:
- Cut the chicken thigh meat into bite-sized pieces, ensuring they are similar in size to the green onion pieces.
- Cut the green onions into sections, approximately the same length as the chicken pieces.
- Assemble the Skewers:
- Thread the chicken and green onion alternately onto the soaked bamboo skewers, creating a pattern of chicken, onion, chicken, onion, and so on.
- Season the Skewers:
- Lightly season the skewers with a pinch of salt and pepper. You can also use shichimi togarashi for extra flavor and heat, if desired.
- Preheat the Grill:
- Preheat your grill or broiler to medium-high heat.
- Grill the Skewers:
- Place the assembled skewers on the grill or under the broiler. Grill for a few minutes on each side, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and has a nice char.
- Brush with Yakitori Sauce:
- As the skewers are grilling, brush them with yakitori sauce or tare sauce. Apply the sauce a few times on both sides of the skewers, allowing it to caramelize and enhance the flavor.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked and has a beautiful glaze, remove the skewers from the grill.
- Arrange the Yakitori Negima skewers on a plate and serve them as a delightful appetizer or part of a meal.
- Dipping Sauce (Optional):
- You can also serve Yakitori Negima with a small dish of additional yakitori sauce or tare sauce on the side for dipping.
Yakitori Negima is a flavorful and savory dish that highlights the delicious combination of grilled chicken and the fresh taste of green onions. It’s a favorite at izakayas (Japanese pubs) and can also be enjoyed at home as a simple and delightful dish.