Taiyaki is a popular Japanese snack or dessert that is shaped like a fish and traditionally filled with sweet fillings like red bean paste or custard. Here’s how you can make taiyaki at home:
For the Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
For the Filling:
- Red bean paste, custard, chocolate, or any other desired filling
- Prepare the Batter: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, then add the milk and melted butter. Mix well.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while whisking. Mix until you have a smooth batter without lumps. Let the batter rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the Taiyaki Pan: Heat a taiyaki pan over medium heat. Brush the molds with a thin layer of oil or butter to prevent sticking.
- Pour the Batter: Pour a small amount of batter into each fish-shaped mold, filling it to about half. Make sure to evenly coat the mold.
- Add the Filling: Place your desired filling (red bean paste, custard, etc.) in the center of each fish-shaped mold, on top of the batter.
- Cover with More Batter: Add another layer of batter on top of the filling, covering it completely and filling the mold to the top.
- Cook the Taiyaki: Close the taiyaki pan and cook for a few minutes on each side, until the taiyaki turns golden brown and is cooked through. You can flip the taiyaki halfway through cooking using the pan handles.
- Remove and Serve: Once cooked, carefully remove the taiyaki from the pan using a fork or a spatula. Let them cool slightly before eating, as the filling can be very hot.
- Enjoy: Taiyaki is best enjoyed when freshly made and still warm. You can dust them with powdered sugar if you like.
- While red bean paste and custard are traditional fillings, you can get creative and fill taiyaki with chocolate, Nutella, cheese, sweet potato, or even savory fillings like tuna or sausage.
- Experiment with different batters, such as using matcha (green tea) powder for a unique flavor and color.
Taiyaki is a delightful treat that’s both fun to make and delicious to eat. It’s a great way to enjoy a taste of Japanese street food right at home!