Here’s a recipe for Spring Rolls that you can try at home:
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 small cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
For the rolls:
- 10 spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the grated carrot, shredded cabbage, and bean sprouts to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch, black pepper, salt, and sugar. Add the mixture to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Cook the vegetable mixture for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens and the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cilantro and scallions.
- To assemble the spring rolls, place a spring roll wrapper on a clean work surface with one corner facing you. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of the vegetable filling onto the center of the wrapper.
- Roll the wrapper tightly around the filling, tucking in the sides as you go. Brush the edges with the beaten egg to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling.
- Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the spring rolls in batches and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the spring rolls from the skillet and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve the spring rolls with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sweet chili sauce or soy sauce.
Enjoy your homemade Spring Rolls!