Shandong cuisine is a type of Chinese cuisine that originates from the Shandong province of China. It is known for its emphasis on seafood, soups, and simple seasoning. Here’s a recipe for a classic Shandong dish that you can try at home:
Shandong-style Braised Fish
- 1 lb firm white fish fillets, such as cod or tilapia
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine or sherry
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 star anise
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken or fish broth
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Rinse the fish and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the fish into large chunks and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar, minced garlic, grated ginger, and star anise.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the sliced scallions and stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the fish chunks to the pan and stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture into the pan and stir gently to coat the fish.
- Pour the chicken or fish broth into the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the fish for about 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and the fish is cooked through.
- Garnish the fish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Enjoy your homemade Shandong-style braised fish!