Kung Pao Chicken is a popular Chinese dish that is spicy, savory, and slightly sweet. Here’s a recipe to make Kung Pao Chicken at home:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 6-8 dried red chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and cornstarch. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry until browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside. Add the dried red chili peppers, garlic, and ginger to the wok and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced bell peppers and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Return the chicken to the wok and add the roasted peanuts and sliced green onions. Stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir-fry for another minute.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Enjoy your homemade Kung Pao Chicken!