Kani salad is a refreshing and light Japanese salad made with imitation crab (surimi) sticks, cucumber, and a creamy, tangy dressing. It’s a popular appetizer or side dish at Japanese restaurants and is known for its delightful combination of flavors and textures. Here’s how you can make kani salad at home:
For the Salad:
8-10 imitation crab sticks (kani or surimi), shredded or chopped
1 cucumber, julienned or thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
Mixed salad greens or lettuce (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped fresh cilantro or chives
- Prepare the Imitation Crab: a. Shred or chop the imitation crab sticks into thin strips. You can use your fingers to pull them apart.
- Prepare the Cucumber: a. Julienne or thinly slice the cucumber. If you prefer, you can peel and remove the seeds before slicing.
- Prepare the Dressing: a. In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey or sugar, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Assemble the Salad: a. In a large bowl, combine the shredded imitation crab, julienned cucumber, and sliced avocado (if using). b. If desired, you can also add some mixed salad greens or lettuce to the bowl.
- Add the Dressing: a. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients.
- Toss and Garnish: a. Gently toss the salad to coat the ingredients with the dressing.
- Serve and Garnish: a. Transfer the kani salad to individual serving plates or bowls. b. Sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped cilantro or chives over the top for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Enjoy your homemade kani salad! Serve it as a refreshing appetizer or side dish.
Kani salad is known for its creamy and tangy dressing that complements the sweetness of the imitation crab and the crunch of the cucumber. Feel free to adjust the ingredients and dressing to your taste preferences.