Here’s a recipe for General Tso’s Chicken that you can try at home:
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooked rice
- Steamed broccoli
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, and black pepper. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- Add the beaten egg to the chicken and stir to coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Add the sauce to the pan and cook over medium heat until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Serve the General Tso’s Chicken over cooked rice and steamed broccoli.
Enjoy your homemade General Tso’s Chicken!