Fermented tofu, also known as “stinky tofu,” is a popular snack in many Asian countries. It has a pungent aroma and a unique flavor that some people love. Here’s a recipe for making your own fermented tofu at home:
- 1 block of firm tofu (about 14 oz or 400g)
- 1/2 cup rice wine or shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece ginger, minced
- 1-2 dried red chili peppers (optional)
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice wine, soy sauce, Sichuan peppercorns, salt, sugar, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers (if using).
- Add the tofu to the marinade and stir gently to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 1-2 days, or until the tofu has a pungent aroma and a slightly soft texture.
- Store the fermented tofu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Enjoy your homemade fermented tofu as a snack or as a topping for rice dishes!