Cantonese cuisine is a type of Chinese cuisine that originates from the Guangdong province of China. It is known for its use of fresh ingredients, delicate flavors, and emphasis on seafood. Here’s a recipe for a classic Cantonese dish that you can try at home:
Steamed Fish with Ginger and Scallions
- 1 whole fish, cleaned and scaled (such as sea bass or red snapper)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or sherry
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Rinse the fish and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the fish on a heat-proof plate that will fit inside a steamer basket.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sesame oil, sugar, and grated ginger.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the fish, making sure to coat it evenly. Sprinkle the sliced scallions on top of the fish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the plate with the fish on top of a steamer basket and place the basket in the pot.
- Cover the pot and steam the fish for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the fish, or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- While the fish is steaming, heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over high heat until it starts to smoke. Pour the hot oil over the sliced scallions on top of the fish. The scallions will sizzle and release their flavor.
- Garnish the fish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
Enjoy your homemade Cantonese-style steamed fish with ginger and scallions!